Happy Bluesman On The Sonic Bytes Podcast
I hope you’re all keeping well and safe during these crazy times.
Today I wanted to try something a little different with this post.
Part of what I enjoy most about running ‘The Happy Bluesman’, is that it gives me the opportunity to connect with amazing people from all over the world.
In my immediate circle of friends and family, I am the only guitar player and blues music fanatic. So being able to chat with and meet blues enthusiasts and guitar players has been brilliant.
It is something that I would love to do more. And truthfully I do sometimes feel a little anonymous when I write my normal articles here.
I have a few ideas on how to change this for 2021, and there is a bit more on that below. But in the meantime, I wanted to share an episode of the ‘Sonic Bytes‘ Podcast that I appeared on recently.
The podcast is run by Leo Kelly-Gee – one of my guitar students – along with his band mate and fellow professional musician, Jonny Cheung. In their own words, the podcast is:
A series of freewheeling musical conversations and interviews covering everything from our favourite music, new releases we’re listening to and life as working musicians in the UK.
Leo and Jonny kindly invited me on the show. During our chat we covered a range of different topics, including guitar gear, the modern blues scene and my own musical journey.
You can watch the episode in full on YouTube here:
Alternatively if you’d prefer to listen to the podcast on the go, you can do so here:
It’s quite a long episode, so if you want to jump ahead to specific moments in the show, then the main topics we discuss and their timings are here:
Discovering Music, Guitar & The Blues
- How I got started on guitar and my musical journey – 2.30
- Ways to keep playing and practicing fun – 7.04
- How I met Leo, advanced guitar lessons and teaching styles – 12.41
- Making sure you connect with your guitar teacher – 18.09
- How I discovered music and the blues – 20.47
The Modern Day Blues Scene
- CDs, LPs and the pros and cons of streaming platforms – 26.15
- Are there any modern day guitar heroes? – 35.20
- John Mayer Vs. Derek Trucks – 39.24
- Online guitar community and learning resources – 40.21
- Online guitar courses: the pros and cons – 43.52
- Guitar gear – is it useful or a distraction? – 50.54
- My current guitar gear and set-up – 55.22
- Leo and Jonny’s gear and set-ups – 1:01:55
- Choosing gear for your personal playing context – 1:02:54
- Our dream gear (if money was no object!) – 1:06:30
The Future Of The Happy Bluesman
Last up at around the 1:15:45 mark, we chat a bit about the future of The Happy Bluesman and what I have planned for it. I started the website (part time) a couple of years ago, before committing to it and teaching full time, earlier this year.
I really want to make this website the best resource out there for blues enthusiasts and guitar players. So if this kind of content is something you find interesting, if you’d like me to run a Happy Bluesman podcast with some of the best blues guitar players out there, or if you have any other ideas at all for articles or content ideas, please do let me know.
You can either pop them in the comments below, or send me an email on [email protected] Thank you so much for reading and for the continued support, I really appreciate it 😁
P.S. If you enjoyed listening to this podcast, please share the love 😁 Thank you!